The Disk spin stats and Song spin stats report types in the Search form can be used to produce charts of the Top-N disks or songs respectively.
- Choose the report type you are looking for: Disk spin stats or Song spin stats
- Choose a Library if you want, e.g. "Rock" to produce the rock music charts
- Using the Played in the... criterion, set the range of dates you want to include in the chart, e.g. 1 week ending today
- If you want, constrain the search also using the Add date and/or New flag
- Include any other constraining criteria you like
Create a chart of the most popular disks that were added to the Jazz library in the last 3 months. For this you would select library=Jazz, check 'Date added', and set 'added in the 3 months ending' [today's-date], leaving all other fields blank. This kind of search can take several seconds to complete, depending on what's in your station's database.
Create a chart of the most frequently requested local rock songs in 2012. For this you would select library=Rock, check 'Request' and 'Local', and set 'Played in the 1 year ending' [Dec 31 2012], leaving all other fields blank.
The resulting charts are available for download if you want to use the data in a different application.
In the results table, each artist, disk and label is a hyperlink that takes you to a page showing the item's full database record. You will find that various inaccuracies can arise in the creation of charts, users with editor or administrator permissions can then edit them:
- If the same disk appears more than once in the database as a result of typing or spelling differences then the spins will be split among those disks. You need to combine them first to get an accurate chart.
- If you are using the Add date criterion then the Add date must be correctly set on all the disks you need to include in the search to get an accurate chart.
- If the data in the playlists is a big mess then so are your charts. This issue is known generally in the computer world as GIGO, or Garbage In–Garbage Out. So clearly, it helps if DJs are doing their data entry carefully, always using the auto-suggestion. It can also help to enlist volunteer editors to help with tidying the data.
Note: Spin stats reports can take a little while to compute when your database gets really big.