Schedule and shows
A radio show can be one-off or recurring. In Spinitron recurring shows are put in the program schedule. These are called a regular shows, meaning that it occurs regularly. Conversely, a one-off show is called an irregular show in Spinitron.
Playlists are documents of what happened on a given edition of a show. In Spinitron, playlists and shows are different things. A playlist always belongs to a show. A show can have many playlists.
Using the schedule
The schedule page shows all the shows that are currently in the program schedule. These are your station's regular shows.
All users can manage their own show(s):
- Add a show — click "Add a show" button on the top-left of the page
- Modify a show — click inside the show's box but not on the 'X' ( editing shows → )
- Delete a show — click on the X in the bottom-right of the show's box
Administrators can also:
- Add, modify and delete all the shows in the schedule,
- Add and remove a show's DJs without limitations,
- Change at what hour of the day the program schedule begins on the Station configuration page.
If you want your schedule to look good online, it's good practice for administrators keep an eye on it and fix it up if they see errors.
About regular shows
Regular shows are shows in your station's current program schedule.
- Regular shows in all users' profiles are used to generate the online program schedule table
- When you create a new playlist, your regular shows appear in a shortcut menu
- When subbing for other DJs, their regular shows appear in another menu
- More than one DJ can be assigned to a regular show
- Concurrent shows (e.g. shows that share a time-slot on alternating weeks) are displayed side-by-side in the schedule grid
- When you delete a show, it is just removed from the schedule – it's not really deleted from the database and its old playlists are kept.
- If a show airs more than once a week, it will appear as more than one box on the schedule. Modifying one of them will modify them all.
Keep regular show details up-to-date. Errors will show up on your playlists and in the online program schedule. Shows no longer in the regular program schedule should be deleted.
Editing regular shows
You can add and edit regular shows from the user profile page or from the program schedule.
Regular shows are the shows currently in the program schedule and they also appear in the short-cut menus in the form for creating new playlists.
The edit show form has the following fields:
- Show name — the show's title. Required.
- Category — one of the show categories established by your station. Required.
- Since — a year to go public playlists to indicate how long the show has been running. Optional.
- Weekdays — check all the days that the show is aired in the time-slot given in the next lines. Required.
- On-air and Off-air times — required
- DJs - you can add and remove one or more DJs as a show's hosts. But unless you are an administrator user, you cannot remove yourself as DJ from a show.
- Hide DJ info — when Spinitron displays this show’s playlists, or information about the show on public pages, it conceals the show’s DJs and DJ images if you check this checkbox. This can be useful for example with syndicated shows (in which case the Spinitron user account assigned to the show is probably irrelevant to the public) or when the DJ’s name is part of the show’s name.
- Show description — this text is displayed on the public playlist pages. Optional.
- URL — if the show has a web page somewhere, you can put its URL here and it will show up on public playlist pages. Optional.